2530 9th Avenue Demolition
California Affordable Housing Initiatives Inc., an affiliate of the Oakland Housing Authority, owns the vacant property located at 2530 9th Avenue in Oakland. CAHI will be demolishing the vacant apartment buildings at 2530 9th Avenue from July 6 through July 8, 2022. Offhaul of debris, grading, and site cleanup will continue through July. Demolishing these buildings will remove the ongoing risk of having vacant and unsafe structures on this property.
There will be some impacts on the neighbors of 2530 9th Avenue during the abatement and demolition process. CAHI and its contractors will work diligently to minimize these impacts.
What to Expect
Here are some things that you can expect during this demolition:
- Demolition and cleanup work will be conducted between 7:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.
- Some parking spaces on Ninth Avenue will be blocked off.
- There will be truck traffic coming to and from the site.
- The demolition contractor will use excavators and other heavy equipment to demolish the building.
- The demolition contractor will spray water on the building to reduce dust as much as possible.
- The demolition process will generate some dust and debris that will fall on neighboring properties. The demolition contractor will pick up any debris that falls on neighboring properties.
- You may hear noise from the demolition equipment. The use of heavy equipment will be limited to the hours of 7:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.
- You may see parts of the building sway and wobble while it is being demolished. While this may be alarming, it is normal. The demolition will be conducted by experienced equipment operators who will bring the building down in a safe and controlled manner.
What’s Next for 2530 9th Avenue?
We believe it will benefit the neighborhood by removing this vacant building. In the next couple of years, CAHI expects to develop new affordable homes at 2530 9th Avenue. CAHI will provide periodic mowing and litter control at 2530 9th Avenue while the site is vacant.
If you have any questions or concerns about the abatement and demolition project or if issues come up during the on-site work, please contact Jonathan Young, CAHI’s Program Manager, at (510) 587-2190 or email to: 2530NinthAve@oakha.org.